I couldn’t sleep last night, in part due to Mr FD’s constant mutterings and so gave up and decided to get organised in the kitchen before the school year starts again. So I baked up a storm and by 7am had a batch of mediterranean muffins and individual quiches to freeze for my school lunches – for those days when rushed for time, or Mr FD beats me to the leftovers! So now I have 12 lunches in the freezer!
- Quiches to the left and muffins to the right!
Individual Quiches – quiches above are made with left over Christmas ham and camembert.
Total fat 5.1 g
Sat Fat 1.1g
Fibre 0.6 g
4 egg whites (or just use 8 eggs in total)
1 medium onion
1 shallot, chopped
170g crabmeat OR 170g ham, diced
½ cup skim milk
4 tbs plain flour
50g light camembert, sliced OR grated cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180C. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add onion, shallots and crab meat/or/ham.
2. Mix flour with milk and pour into eggs. Mix well.
3. Pour into a lightly sprayed spring tin, quiche dish or large muffin pan. Arrange camembert/grated cheese on top and sprinkle with black pepper (cracked looks best).
4. Bake for about 30 mins / 25 if using large muffin tin, until egg mix is set.
5. Leave in tin for 5 minutes to rest and then slice/remove from muffin tin.
6. Can be frozen.
Total Fat 1.4g
Sat Fat 0.4g
Makes 12 small, 6 large muffins
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup of oats
1tbs baking powder
50 g sundried tomatoes
1 cup tomato juice (canned tomatoes works well too!)
½ medium capsicum
6 black olives, sliced
2/3 cup skim milk
60g simple salsa (I use any salsa from the supermarket, or make your own)
2 eggs whites (I use the whole eggs)
2tbs parmesan cheese/grated cheese
1tbs basil leaves.
1. Soak sun dried tomatoes in ½ cup tomato juice for 30 mins. If not using sun dried tomatoes just add juice to mix.
2. Chop tomatoes and place in a bowl with capsicum, cheese, basil, sliced olives, flour, baking powder and oats.
3. Mix remaining ingredients and then add to dry mix.
Spray muffin tin with oil, pour in batter (I use an ice cream scoop) and bake at 180C for 20 minutes if small muffins and 25 if large.
5. Serve hot or cold, with salsa, mashed avocado and sour cream, or with soup.
6. Will freeze well.
I have fiddled with this a lot over time, and it works well with no dried tomatoes, a can or tomato, capsicum and onion mix; corn. Soy milk and gluten free flour without the cheese is also fine. Just ensure the salsa is there!
Recipes by Michelle Truite, Cooking with Conscience.