1L (4cups) salt-reduced beef stock
2 cups (500 ml) water
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
5 cm piece fresh ginger
1 tbs soy sauce
1 bunch baby bok choy
200g dried flat rice noodles
400 g lean beef rump steak, fat trimmed and thinly sliced
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
½ cup fresh coriander leaves
1 long fresh red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 green shallot, thinly sliced
1. Add stock, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, soy and 2 cups (500 ml) water to a large saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
3. Add baby bok choy and cook for 1 minute or until just wilted.
4. Meanwhile, place noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Drain noodles and divide among 4 serving bowls.
5. Add beef to broth for 1 or 2 minutes, then ladle beef broth mix over noodles and serve.
Chicken or pork fillets may also be used.